Configuring a shared media folder with Plex on FreeNAS
I struggled a little when configuring Plex + SMB on a ZFS dataset because there are no proper error messages for issues of this kind.
- Create a new Dataset with share type
- Go and edit ACL of this newly created dataset and click on the
Add ACL Itembutton below
- Set the Who field to
[email protected]and all other fields should match the previous ones (you just need to set Permissions to
- This step is not required for Plex. Create a SMB share and point it to the newly created Dataset.
- Now go to the Plugins and install Plex. The installation is pretty straightforward and FreeNAS will download a bunch of files. Do not go to the UI yet.
- Go to the Jails, select the one you’ve just created for Plex, and click Stop.
- Now, with that selected, click on the right arrow to expand the item, then go to Mount Points.
- Click on the menu Actions > Add, then select as source the Dataset you created on step 1, then as destination select
- Now you can start the Jail and proceed with the Plex configuration.
- When asked to add your media library, just locate them under the
As always, I didn’t figure this out on my own. Thanks to jnkbcs for digging into this issue, you saved me lots of time!